Nielsen Releases its 2010 Media Industry Fact Sheet
Nielsen recently released its 2010 Media Industry Fact Sheet containing a comprehensive overview of what and how people watch across a variety of media, including TV, mobile, online, radio, books and music. In 2010, we will see a continuation and acceleration of consumers connecting and watching more. Here is just a brief overlook at some of the statistics Nielsen released in its report:
- 114.9 million homes have at least one TV
- 47.4 million homes are now HD capable
- Almost 30% of households own four or more TVs
- 99% of video content is watched on a TV set
- There are 223 million mobile users (ages 13+) in the U.S.
- 18% of mobile devices are smartphones (up from 13% in 2008)
- There are approximately 150 million smartphone users
- 120 million smartphone users surf on mobile web
- There are 195 million active Internet users in the U.S.
- Over one year, Twitter grew 500%
- Time spent on social networking sites increased 277% in the U.S.
- The average Facebook user spends about 6 hours per month on the social networking site
To read the full Nielsen report, which contains a wealth of statistics concerning the media industry, click here.