If you’ve scrolled through Facebook in the last month, you’ve probably seen at least one video of people posed, stock-still, as a camera moves around the space. The videos are short, about a minute long. They’re all part of the Mannequin Challenge.
So how did this trend take off?
- Simplicity: Anyone can do it
- Cost: The videos are free – all you need is a space, some willing participants, and the ability to stand still as the camera pans over you
- Length: The videos fit the best-practice video content rule of thumb – 60 seconds or less
The Mannequin Challenge is the latest in a long line of user generated viral videos, from the Ice Bucket challenge (which included a charity element) to the Running Man Challenge. In honor of this trend’s success, we’ve compiled the 5 best Mannequin Challenges we’ve seen working their way around the Internet.
5. The USWNT gets points for all the water bottles – bold move, ladies.
4. SNL makes good use of their star power and includes a prop that makes you look twice.
3. The New England Patriots take us through several scenes, from tailgates to the radio announcers.
— New England Patriots (@Patriots) November 15, 2016
2. The Cleveland Cavaliers are in a close second place with the cameo by Michelle Obama…
— CNN (@CNN) November 12, 2016
1. …but the obvious winner is whoever trained this dog to sit still with a Dorito in his mouth.